Monday, August 1, 2011

Once in Awhile. . .

Once in awhile we impress our children. Not very often, mind you. But most of us moms and dads will take whatever accolades our offspring give. This time it involved our soon-to-be 27-year-old daughter, who really does give both her dad and me more credit than we deserve.

Valerie and I were discussing priorities, which led us to Hebrews 12:1: "Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us." Usually God has me park on the sin entanglement and perseverance, but this time, His Holy Spirit highlighted "throw off everything that hinders" and "the race marked out for us."

Even good deeds can hinder us. Yes, if they spread us too thin to do what God has called us to do. A wise person once said if we say "yes" to something, we say "no" to something else. That means saying "NO" to ministry that I could do, would enjoy doing, and have done in the past. I may or may not have 30 more years of living this side of heaven, so it's time I choose what only I can do, what God has gifted me to do, and what He's marked out for me to finish. At this point in time, only I can minister to my mother, write what God has put on my heart, encourage my husband, my son, and my daughter. I can supplement our income by tutoring students in reading and writing. I can serve my fellow Christian sisters by sharing meals and babysitting when needed. Beyond these commitments, I must draw the line until God redirects my route to the finish line. Once in awhile, saying "NO" is really saying "YES" to what matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment